It has been quite some time. My life movie is on fast forward as I am traveling all over the place, finishing up my junior year at Wheelock, and jumping head first into Miss Massachusetts prep. Every Sunday, I am prepping my meals for the week and living the paleo life after having completed my very first Transformation Series with my incredible sponsor, Ritual Sweat Society.
I’m excited to share with you my experience of this whole thing in a video (keep your eye out for this in the next couple of weeks) but until then, my new obsession is definitely worth exploring on your own and that, my loves, is paleo bread.
There are many recipes for this online (I tore through Pinterest for a while before settling on which recipes I wanted to try) but the one that I’ll share with you here was adapted from one that I found on healthextremist.com. The kicker for me with a lot of these breads is that I don’t have $50 that I’m willing to spend on fancy flours and extracts, but I do have chickens in my backyard who are in full swing spring egg creating, and Target was having a sale on coconut flour this week. So here’s the recipe:
- A heaping 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
- 7 egg whites and one egg yolk
- 3 tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp applecider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
And that’s it!
Depending on how much bread you want, I would suggest doubling the recipe for more. I know that’s a lot of eggs, but I made two itty bitty loaves with the recipe as is. To get it all ready:
- Mix everything together EXCEPT the vinegar and baking soda.
- Once everything is mixed well, add the vinegar and baking soda and mix. (It fizzes! Embrace that STEM life!)
- Coat your bread pan with some coconut oil. (I used two of these little guys. Again, if you want bigger slices, double recipe and use a normal sized bread pan.)
- Bake at 350 for 30ish minutes (if using the smaller pans) and use the toothpick trick to check that it’s baked through. Edges should begin to brown.
- Let cool, slice, and serve with a honey drizzle and some raspberries on the side.
This recipe was my saving grace when I was absolutely craving bread. At this point, I haven’t eaten sandwich bread or toast for over 2 months and I was starting to miss the feeling of biting into a slice of bread (a weird thing to miss but I’m a texture person). This bread is great because it’s high in protein, and I love dipping it into my morning coffee. It’s texture and flavor is similar to a coconuty pound cake that you would find on the pastry tray at a hotel breakfast- only without the guilt of eating cake at 8AM. So, enjoy!
If you like food, follow my lifestyle & fitness Instagram and get connected. I love hearing from you guys, seriously.
PS. I have some pretty exciting opportunities coming up this summer to involve all of you in achieving your lifestyle goals so STAY TUNED!